Well, I touched on that a little in the first post. We were drawn to Etiopia; I can't explain exactly why except that God completely had his hand in the process. We were inspired by other families.I saw signs everywhere that I was on the right track! Our eyes were opened to some staggering statistics, which I will let speak for themselves:
- According to UNICEF, there are approximately 6 million orphans in Ethiopia, a country the size of Texas.
- The average life expectancy is 55.
- About 36% of adults are literate.
- 38% of children under five are underweight.
- The average annual income is about $160 US dollars.
- 1 in 10 children die before their 5th birthday.
- 44% of the population of Ethiopia is under 15 years old.
- 60% of children in Ethiopia are stunted because of malnutrition.
- Ethiopia's median age is 17.8 years.
- Between 60-150 million kids live on the street.
- 1.5 million people are infected with AIDS (6th highest in the world).
- 720,000 children have been orphaned by AIDS.
- Half the children in Ethiopia will never attend school.
- 88% of children will never attend secondary school.
- Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000.
- 82% of the population live on less than $1 a day.
I wanted to leave you-my 10 followers : ) with this video. Watch it! It can articulate the question "Why Ethiopia? so much better than I can!