Monday, July 25, 2011

You Break It, You Buy It

Friday morning my BFF Beth (my shopping buddy I mentioned last week here) and I decided to brave the Nashville flea market in the heat.  We were each on the hunt for a few specific items.  Pretty quickly I found this gem.  I was looking for a tall chair with a backrest for my classroom.  When I saw this red one, I knew it was just what I was looking for!  I thought about painting it just for a split second, and then realized that the pop of red would be perfect!


My friend is a great spotter and pretty quickly found 2 items I was looking for.  Last week I mentioned that I heart mirrors.  Well, I also heart old keys.  I've been wanting a large one for awhile now.   I thought that this large one for $5 was a steal!



I also have plans to use this lock and key for a piece of artwork for the hubby, so stay tuned.  It's gonna be great!



Later, we decided to head to some of the indoor buildings to cool off.  Did I mention it was HOT?!  If you live in Nashville or the southeast, you don't need me to tell you that!  As we were walking around, we spotted some milk glass that I wanted to take a look at.  I picked up the jar and before you know it...CRASH!  The lid fell off and broke another item in this lady's booth.  It was like it happened in slow motion.  I knew it was coming, but my reflexes were way too slow to stop it.

I instantly looked at the old woman whose booth we were in, hoping maybe she was hard of hearing and had missed the commotion.  No such luck.  Another kind lady rushed over with a broom and dustpan and helped us clean it up.  I was also hoping that this was in fact a sweet old lady (and not a crotchity one) who would not make a sweet young girl pay for her clumsiness.  No such luck here either.  She told me that she had intended to sell the milk glass jars as a pair for $50.  I was about to faint.  And the other item that I broke was $24.  Oh boy.   Now I'm really feeling sick.  But, she ended up working a deal with me and I paid $40 for both items that I broke. And she didn't make me pay for the other milk glass jar.

The good news is (yes, there's some good news) that I got to keep the milk glass jar that I broke.  I ended up only cracking the lid.  I can turn the lid around where you don't even see it.  So here's the damage...



And here's the beaut that got me in trouble in the first place.  She was worth it, right?



Later Beth and I had a good laugh about it.  Who didn't have a good laugh?  The hubby.  But, I assured him that he would find it funny one day.  We're still waiting on that day.  Have any of my Wayman Family Nesters experienced "You Break It, You Buy It?" Pin It

4 comments:

  1. HAHA! My husband would not find it funny either, if it helps ;-) I am also clumsy and don't allow myself to pick up breakables to prevent things like this from happening to me all the time, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have to be on my toes around fragile items, and I rarely pick them up. haha. I just can't afford to risk it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty darn clumsy too!

    Brooke Annessa
    www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete